Contest and Lottery Announcements

This forum is for all "In Game" posts. You must either post as your character, or a "unseen narrator" describing some in-game event.

Contest and Lottery Announcements

Postby connick » Thu May 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Greetings Fellow Citizens,

As promised, I have details to share about the Grand Pest Elimination Contest. Also, I have learned that our newly appointed Gaming Commissioner, Inumate, will be absent from Crossroads during the coming Rise, so I will share some information about the lottery as well.

The Grand Pest Elimination Contest will begin at noon on the First of Medrim, AR69 and will end at midnight on the eve of the first Rise of Terres in AR70. The winners will be announced and rewards will be issued the following day.

All citizens are welcome to participate, however, it must be stressed that participation does not come without risk. Please use your discretion when deciding whether or not to join the competition as it is dangerous to deliberately engage monsters in combat. The decision to participate and the associated risks are your responsibility alone, so please be careful out there.

Additionally, I ask that you please be courteous with one another when it comes to claiming kills. I will not be arbitrating disputes over who deserves the points for a shared elimination. As has been done in the past when collecting the essence or loot from a slain creature, please work it out peacefully among yourselves.

Participants will earn points over the coming year for slaying certain types of creatures and obtaining proof of their elimination (the method for obtaining proof is explained below). Whoever accumulates the most points during the contest will be declared the winner. Prizes will also be awarded to the first and second runners up. At present, the rewards for the victors are:

First Place: 1,000 dr, an honorary title and a trophy
Second Place: 500 dr
Third Place: 250 dr

Please note that these rewards may increase over the course of the contest and represent a guaranteed minimum. In the case of a tie, rewards will be combined and divided equally. (e.g. If two people are tied for first place, they will split the first and second place prize combined [1,500 / 2 = 750]).

Citizens may choose to participate individually or as a team. In the latter case, points will be combined and then divided among the number of participants, rounded down to the nearest whole number. For example, an individual participant who earns 100 points will have a final score of 100 points while a team of two must accumulate a combined total of 200 points to have a final score of 100 points. Winning teams may split their rewards however they see fit.

In order to obtain proof of elimination, I have commissioned the construction of special devices that can be used to make unique, identifiable impressions of the teeth and horns of deceased monsters. These impressions are the basis of the point system. All participants will receive one of these devices, as well as paper ribbons that can be marked with impressions. Upon receipt, participants will receive a brief demonstration of how to operate the device. While taking an impression, the device permanently damages the teeth and horns so that a single corpse cannot be used to make duplicate impressions.

[OOG: You will receive a miniature paper punch and a paper ribbon. In order to make impressions, you must roleplay doing so with a corpse before it dissipates or is delivered to death. For each creature, you may punch the appropriate number of holes in the ribbon as listed below. Once impressions have been made from a creature, the same creature may not be used to create additional impressions.]

Eligible monsters, their point values and the required impressions are listed below.

Mindless undead: 1 point represented by an impression of the right incisor tooth.
Karo-ya (common, red variety): 1 point represented by an impression of the right incisor tooth.
Goatmen: 1 point represented by an impression of the tip of the right horn.
Karo-ya (non-red varieties): 2 points represented by impressions of the left incisor tooth and the right incisor tooth.
Kriddic: 3 points represented by impressions of the left mandible, the right mandible and the tip of the right claw.

If you run out of room on your ribbon to make impressions, please let me know and I will provide you with additional ribbons. If you lose your impression making device please let me know but, know that they are not infinite in supply. With their permission, you may use another participant's device to make impressions.

Please turn in your ribbons at the conclusion of each Rise for tallying. Announcements of these tallies will be made throughout the year.

Let's get out there and clean up our roads! By this time next year we will have made travel much safer for everyone and three worthy participants will gain glory and gold!

Now, regarding the lottery. In the future, Inumate will conduct the lottery but due to his absence I will be in charge of the first one.

The initial "pot" begins at 50 drake, provided by the Crown. Any citizen may purchase entries into the lottery for 5 drake a piece. Each entry raises the pot by 5 drake and there is no limit to the number of entries that may be purchased. For each entry, the entrant's name will be added to a numbered list. At the conclusion of the lottery, fair dice will be rolled, publicly, to determine which entry on the numbered list is the winner. The winner takes half of the pot, with the other half going to the Crown to fund public works.

An example of the lottery outcome is shown below.

Starting Pot: 50 dr

Entries:
#1 Jonathan the Tree (5 dr)
#2 Jonathan the Boulder (5 dr)
#3 Jonathan the Dog (5 dr)

Final Pot: 65 dr
Winner will receive: 33 dr

A ten-sided die is rolled until a 1, 2 or 3 appears. In this example a two is rolled and Jonathan the Boulder is declared the winner. They win 65/2 (rounded up) which is 33 drake.

If the number of entries reaches multiple digits, one die will be rolled for each digit. For example, if there are 259 entries, a die will be rolled until a 0, 1 or 2 appears to determine the first digit. Then a die will be rolled until a 0, 1, 2, 3 or 5 appears to determine the second digit. Lastly, a third die will be rolled until a valid third digit appears.

I will be soliciting entrants during the upcoming Rise and I hope that you all take a chance at winning the prize. All proceeds go towards projects that are in the public interest so, even if you don't win, you'll still be doing a service to your nation. If you do win, you also take home a tidy sum!

I look forward to seeing you all in the coming days and kicking off theses exciting events!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Evreser Leets
Minister of Finance of the Kingdom of Derrickham
connick

Return to In Game