[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3890)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3890)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3890)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3890)
Terres Rising • View topic - Resignation

Resignation

This forum is for all "In Game" posts. You must either post as your character, or a "unseen narrator" describing some in-game event.

Resignation

Postby Director Kyle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am

Citizens of Crossroads,

I am writing to inform you that I am resigning from the Council. I feel that what I am about to express is best said along with a resignation, though I recognize that it may seem ridiculous considering how soon the election is. My resignation does not reflect any negative feelings towards our government generally. In fact, it could be argued that it shows the opposite.

I believe in the Queen, and our Lord, to make sound decisions. I do not see the purpose of the Council. The Council was formed as a means to govern ourselves during the brief period that Crossroads rebelled from the Kingdom 6 years ago. In my opinion, the Council was kept as a part of our governing system to appease the rebels. Our Laws have stated that the Council can settle all disputes, but when we have a Magistrate that is redundant. Our laws state that the Council will allocate taxes within Crossroads; in recent times the allocation has been unnecessary as our taxes have gone to necessities rather than supporting our guilds and other such endeavours. When we are in a state once more to allocate our taxes to needs outside basic necessities, I believe in the Lord of Crossroads, or perhaps the Minister of Finance, to make these decisions.

I believe that in Derrickham any citizen, without needing titles like Councilor, can put forth ideas and have them come to fruition if the ideas are good. Our Minister of Finance pushes this thought frequently. Our Lords and Ladies will listen to their people. The Queen herself makes time to listen to her people. This Kingdom that I live in, fight for, and believe in, is not the one that I rebelled from. I believe in Derrickham, and I do not believe we need a Council. To me, feeling the need to hold onto the Council suggests a lack of trust in the Queen and her Nobles. Your needs will be heard without a Council. Your interests will be represented without a Council. We have done nothing for you with our titles that we could not do without our titles. “All people of Derrickham are equal, except for the Queen who is above them all, and her nobles who are above the other citizens.” We councilors are not better than any other citizen. With my resignation I do not wish to abandon you, but to empower you.

This Rise when it comes time to vote for a new Council consider my words. You do not need a Council. Vote for good faith in Derrickham. Vote to disband the Council.

With faith in all of you,
-Kierdyn

May Derrickham Thrive
Director Kyle

Re: Resignation

Postby Erykahn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Keirdyn,

I greatly respect your resignation from the council. I am humbled by the work that you do, every day for this kingdom of Derrickham. I too have come to notice that the counccouncil, is no longer needed. And, because of that recognition. I will strongly, second your idea to vote down having a Crossroads town council.

By the Grace of Simone, may you find shade in the trees
Erykahn, Knight of Derrickham
Erykahn

Postby Locke Tannen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 am

I think I speak for many Kierden, you will continue to be someone the town looks to and turns to as a leader regardless of your political role. Your leadership has always served as an example to others and will continue to do so-- So don't expect to be fully off the hook! No vacations for the virtuous!

I respect your decision to leave the council. I resigned for similar reasons... I found that the council was not an organ capable of delivering upon the promise of the Derrickham I know we are all capable of becoming. I agree that it serves no purpose that cannot be served more effectively by free association of the citizens of crossroads, and the wisdom of our Queen.

How incredible this thing we are part of is-- this band of stolid champions of every background and variety, bound together by nothing save for their common purpose-- To protect those who need protecting.

To live lives dancing at the precipice of a yawning expanse of chaos and oblivion for the sake of others, for a hundred different reasons... but despite those difference, all of us having arrived at this destination and this same resolution through our varied and twisting journeys, from cut-throats to Queens, thieves to saints, Knights to wild warriors...

We all have our parts to play in this grand drama. It is an honor to follow this common purpose to whatever conclusion it will bring us all individually and whatever progress we will discover collectively.

Council or no- We will always be strongest when we are working together. No way of organizing ourselves towards making collective decisions will change that, and I have faith that we will always endeavor towards delivering on our common aspirations towards peace and prosperity for the people of Derrickham and Ashriya.
Locke Tannen

Postby Tim-Director » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am

Kierdyn,
I've been saying that for years. I commend you.
Just don't forget the vast amount of work that your Highlord puts into the Kingdom, that goes unseen day-to-day.
Cyrus Fennton, conveniently omitted from your list
Tim-Director

Postby Inumate » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 am

Is this some sort of joke? You can't seriously be saying that Derrickham lets regular people vote.
Inumate

Postby Drimm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 pm

I will abstain from any vote to disband the council to remain impartial. I have faith in My Queen and My People, and will abide by their decision in this matter. I thank you all for your continued commitment to the betterment of Derrickham. It is a pleasure to serve this community.

Drimm Dar'reth
The Lord of Crossroads
Drimm

Postby Pat W » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:19 am

I feel the need to correct a misconception in Kierdyn's resignation. The council of Crossroads was formed long before Derrikham existed at all. When I first arrived in Crossroads in AR 51 there was a council. The sacred chain was that council. Don Montero was assassinated in AR 52 and Xeno Bolibar (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of his name) left shortly thereafter. Myself and Titus were elected to fill the void. The council ruled until we were conquered by Barulis (or signed a treaty... I forget which one happened first). I think the second time we became a part of Barulis they disbanded the Council and made me Lord Governor. After we seceded from Barulis the second time, I believe I continued serving as Lord Governor, but I think we still had a council (memory is pretty fuzzy for that time period. If anyone sees Raekin in Death's Realm they can ask him). The council was officially disbanded in AR 56 when Derrick came in and said "This is Derrickham" and Cha'te and I were too lazy to say no.
I do believe Keirdyn is right that the council was reformed when we rebelled after Derrick spent months in seclusion and not ruling.

I agree with what's been said about trusting Peruna to lead Derrickham. This has turned from a bad joke into a respectable and functioning Kingdom. I think Drimm has done a great job as Lord of Crossroads, and is doing good things all around Derrikham, not just in Crossroads.
I think what's important to remember is that the council serves an important function. Providing counsel to the Queen and Lord in matters as they relate to Crossroads. The old function of lawmaking and settling disputes is much less important than it used to be. The council stands for the interests of Crossroads.
As a Vampyre my perspective of time is different than many of the other races. I will likely live to see several more monarchs rule this kingdom after Peruna has lived to a ripe old age and Roland inherits the Kingdom. Choices made now will have impact for generations to come.
The council does not need to keep Peruna in check, as she is genuinely interested in the prosperity of every citizen in the kingdom.
I'm willing to bet her son will be a good King too.
But as time passes it becomes more and more likely that at least one person who inherits the throne will succumb to the greed that consumes many people in power. The longer things like the council in place the more permanent a fixture it becomes, and much harder to ignore.

I urge you not to abandon this important part of Crossroads. If the council seems useless, I challenge you to find a use for it.

Respectfully,
Former Councilman Liren Tirell
Pat W

Postby Inumate » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 am

Wait so the rabble vote and the LORDS abstain? What is going on? People like me can't be trusted to make important decisions. I for one would be much more comfortable if Queen Peruna made the call. It's her government. She can decide if the council is useful.
Inumate

Postby Director Kyle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Liren,

Thank you for providing more history for those who may not have known. From what I see here, the Council has done next to nothing in over a decade. I know that is a short period for our people, but it is still meaningful. Even when Don, Zino, Micah, Derrick, and Tristemar were the Council, the sole ruling body of Crossroads, I don't believe that was elected by the people, nor was it a one year position which would have been quite unstable. My understanding, and I could be wrong as I only came to Derrickham shortly before the rebellion, is that during the time that Crossroads has been Derrickham, there had been no Council until after the rebellion. I see the purpose of a Council when it was a ruling body, I do not see the purpose of the Council when there is a Queen, Highlord, Lords and Ladies, etc.

You note that the Council does not need to keep Peruna in check, suggesting they could do so with a less favorable leader; that is not the function of the Council. The Queen, or any future monarch, could disband the Council with nothing more than a statement that the Council no longer exists. You also note that the Queen should have a Council to provide counsel. That is, again, not the function of this Council. Though I do agree that wise leaders accept, and seek, advice. Peruna has her Highlord, Lords, and Ladies that can provide counsel along with anyone else she chooses to listen to.

I know some future monarch, that most of the people here will likely not live to see, may turn away the advice of others, but I do not think trying to hold onto the Council of today will possibly stop that. What we need to hold onto from this point in time is a mindset of positivity and a people who aren't too lazy to take action. If there is a future need for the people to take action against an unfair ruler, I hope they have the spirit of Crossroads instilled in them to do so. But, at this time, there is no purpose for the Council of Crossroads.

You challenge us to find a purpose for the Council, but I do not see why we should. Disbanding the Council gives all citizens an equal voice. I believe the limited duties of the Council of Crossroads can be better fulfilled by a Magistrate, the Lord, and the Minister of Finance. I have hope for the future. I still see desires to cling to the Council as a sign of distrust, a lack of hope for Derrickham. The Council is a relic from before we were a Kingdom. I agree with Inumate that it is of course the Queen's decision in the end. In asking people to vote to disband the Council if they agree with me, I am asking us to show the Queen that we believe it is an unnecessary body, and in doing so we are providing our advice.

-Kierdyn
Director Kyle

Postby Dash The Clash » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:06 pm

The previous council served a purpose as it actually acted as a governmental body. The post-rebellion council served no purpose other than to delude the rabble into believing it could have a say in their governing, and relieve tensions.

Subjective perceptions of a "good" or "bad" ruler as a basis for trust are irrelevant. Perceptions can be manipulated easily, and appearances can be deceiving. While the current monarch is arguably very "good", who is to say that a future iteration will be? Who can say that a "good" ruler can't be self serving, or even heinous behind closed doors? The vampyre is correct to suggest that with enough time, the trust may change, and that this decision will impact future generations. Avarice can always arise in positions of power. With enough trust, a ruler can get away with many things. They can even use that trust as a veil to obscure truth, until their motives are fulfilled. When that happens, the complacent will weep of their folly, and the cycle of rebellion and subjugation will begin once more.

Is there really no impetus for some structure to prevent that? Despite the defeatist attitude and impotence, have you ever considered that the council might actually reinforce the people's trust in the kingdom? For all your trust and belief in its leadership, has any iteration reciprocated that by allowing the council to override them if necessary?

There will never be a use for the council as long as final decisions lie solely with the monarch, and that monarch's power can never be checked as long as there is no structure for doing so. The council could have been this once with enough effort, but it's too late. Vote it away people, go for it. Whatever happens, the line of Derrik achieves their end. There never was a choice...just the illusion of one.

-Lessimo Umbridge, local carpenter
Dash The Clash

Postby Inumate » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Inumate

Return to In Game