Throwing weapon sizes/usage

This forum is for rules clarifications and rules questions, only. Please do not post general chat, or colloquial responses in this forum. Posts that are off-topic will be deleted.

Throwing weapon sizes/usage

Postby Arradon Annor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 am

A rock larger than 8in diameter requires 2 strength to use and does 2 crushing damage; but what about a flat weapon of large diameter?

Ex/ Say I make a 36in diameter super shuriken, but it's thickness is only ~3in. Does one require more strength to throw this? Or can one of normal strength throw it for normal damage?

Conversely, is there a minimum size for throwing weapons? Ex/ If one made a foam throwing knife roughly the length of a spell packet (minus tail), and it flies true, does it pass as a usable throwing knife ig?

It makes sense that one can't actively use a sword and also throw a knife from the same hand, at the same time. But can one hold knives in a swordhand, retract the sword out of combat usage along ones forearm or something, throw a knife, and then return the blade to guard position? With the sensible caveat that if someone hits your sword while you do this, it counts as damage?
Arradon Annor

Re: Throwing weapon sizes/usage

Postby Tim-Director » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

While the Rules Committee has never ruled on some of the things you ask, I will respond with my unofficial gut reaction and opinion.

So, it sounds like to me, you're saying you will make a 3 feet diameter, thin, coreless, metallic phys rep throwing weapon. Let's think about what you're saying. A "Super Shuriken" would not be concealable. In In-Game terms, it would either be super heavy OR be unwieldy. If the edges are sharp, how are you storing it? How are you even making it? As I think about it, you're basically saying that you plan on using a TABLE SAW BLADE as a weapon? My gut reaction is, not only is it something you will have to specially craft, it is also an entirely different, perhaps unknown, weapon skill, in order to use it.

Now, let's talk about the tiny throwing weapon. So the spell packet is roughly an inch or two round, minus the tail. If you are making a tiny blade that small, you're almost talking about half the size of a paring knife/vegetable peeler type blade. My gut reaction is that it's too small to make an impact. If you threw such a small blade at me from a distance, it wouldn't even pierce the suit of wool that I am currently wearing in real life. I would say that such a small weapon doesn't do any damage.

As far as your sword hand, I'd have to see the "retraction" you're talking about, but I think it would ok.

Arradon Annor wrote:A rock larger than 8in diameter requires 2 strength to use and does 2 crushing damage; but what about a flat weapon of large diameter?

Ex/ Say I make a 36in diameter super shuriken, but it's thickness is only ~3in. Does one require more strength to throw this? Or can one of normal strength throw it for normal damage?

Conversely, is there a minimum size for throwing weapons? Ex/ If one made a foam throwing knife roughly the length of a spell packet (minus tail), and it flies true, does it pass as a usable throwing knife ig?

It makes sense that one can't actively use a sword and also throw a knife from the same hand, at the same time. But can one hold knives in a swordhand, retract the sword out of combat usage along ones forearm or something, throw a knife, and then return the blade to guard position? With the sensible caveat that if someone hits your sword while you do this, it counts as damage?
Tim-Director

Return to Rules Clarifications