Rules Change: Essence

This forum is for rules clarifications and rules questions, only. Please do not post general chat, or colloquial responses in this forum. Posts that are off-topic will be deleted.

Rules Change: Essence

Postby Pat W » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:54 pm

One major change to the Terres Rising rules system is the removal of Essence as a reward for killing monsters. Essence as a game concept is still very much a part of Terres Rising, just no longer directly tied to character advancement.

There has long been mixed feedback regarding Essence, and the feedback has become more negative than positive in the past couple of years.
This change will have a couple of significant positive impacts.
1) Non-Combat or back line combat characters will no longer be at in inherent disadvantage compared to front line fighters.
2) Progression will be more balanced across the board
3) NPCs will no longer have to wait around for someone to collect their essence, or hold up combat while fishing around in their pockets for Essence tags. This will help us streamline combat and improve immersion. Also it will allow NPCs to get out of harm’s way quicker, making combat safer for everyone. (As you know, safety is our number one priority.)
4) Logistics will be significantly easier.
a) Cutting out the need to ensure that we have enough Essence for the weekend, and the need to come collect it from players when we run out.
b) Getting encounters out the door will be expedited since we won’t need to ensure each NPC has the appropriate essence.

Additionally we as a staff can worry less about making sure we have *enough* combat encounters to provide the appropriate amount of essence, and start worrying more about making each encounter more relevant to the story and world. You as players will not have a meta-motivation to make encounters end violently, which will allow you to make decisions based more about the encounter itself and less about that sweet sweet essence.

The main risk we see is that it may prove more difficult for newer characters to bridge the SP gap to established characters. We intend to keep an eye on this and adjust accordingly.
Pat W

Re: Rules Change: Essence

Postby Drimm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Will npc's still drop loot such as money, components, items, etc.? Will there still be a need to at least search?
Drimm

Postby Director Eric » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Drimm wrote:Will npc's still drop loot such as money, components, items, etc.? Will there still be a need to at least search?

Yes and no. As all of your items go with you to Death, the NPCs items do, too. So while NPCs will no longer literally "drop" loot, some NPCs will have loot on them. If they aren't searched before the body dissipates, you'll miss out.
Director Eric
Site Admin

Postby Golion Duvain » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:27 am

One of the things that I really liked about this game was the essence system. It allowed me the opportunity to at least get close to the levels my friends were at, while not having to worry about roleplay people interpreting my roleplay, so I could roleplay how I wanted. And early on, when I didn't know anything really about the game it gave me an excuse to get involved, even if I did not know the player or the true objective. I still was rewarded and could investigate the world. I accept that it can be difficult logistically, but there are ways to improve it on that end. Including making essence not so small and a way to turn it in during the event. If you need help with that let me know. This seems to be building a perpetual status quo that I don't like, and has me worried. Remember, that the more methods you create to reward experience, the more ways a player can express their character and have fun.
Golion Duvain

Postby Pat W » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Hey Alex,

Believe me, I share your concern, and did note as such in the initial post on this thread.

If you do have suggestions for how to make the essence system more viable logistically please send them to staff@terresrising.com

We appreciate your feedback, but spent a lot of time discussing this and staff on a whole feels like it's the best way to proceed for now.
Again, if we get a few events in, and it isn't working as expected we will certainly revisit it.

Pat
Pat W

Postby Arradon Annor » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

My complaint is this;

Say I'm Krom. He's sunk nearly 100 build into being a combat powerhouse. These skills were the platform to gaining any essence. Now, there is zero reward for the years spent accumulating these skills. Anyone starting off new, hoping they'll be as badass as Krom one day- they must be disappointed cause it won't help them gain skills ever.

Say I'm Arradon. Arradon loves loot. Looty looty loot, oh joyous loot. He's also inclined to disappear from combat if it won't benefit him. With no essence, and only an occasional acquisition of loot that hasn't dissipated yet, the personal benefit from any combat is reduced greatly. Plenty of characters dispositions could change.

Honestly, I have no idea how to gain essence now, besides the limited RP yields. We'll find out. While combat will be streamlined, it won't help you grow as a character. Different essence acquisition methods for non-frontline/limited combat players, and limits to essence gains from slaying beasts, that sounds like a better solution coming from the player pov. I think only 50% of crossroads' bloodlust is essence based, the rest is the regular, old fashioned bloodlust that makes it fun...

Edit:
An easier way of expressing this; I would think it'd be an easier transition for all sorts of builds to try to limit monster essence gains with concurrent enrichment of other ways to get it, prior to a phasing out of monster essence entirely. I agree, the former system demanded you kill to level, not the fairest. But I feel it'd be balanced if some killing should help, and to level fastest, one must seek all other methods available.
Arradon Annor

Return to Rules Clarifications