Points of Discussion for Council Reform

This forum is for all "In Game" posts. You must either post as your character, or a "unseen narrator" describing some in-game event.

Points of Discussion for Council Reform

Postby Locke Tannen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm

To all those within Derrickham who dare to hope for a voice within the halls of power-

I hereby announce a meeting to discuss the establishment of a political alliance towards the ultimate end of reforming the council into a more useful governmental function within the existing political infrastructure.

In short- I am offering you a pact.

That pact binds me, and any other council candidates who are willing to participate, to the decisions on issues of import that will be decided by attendees of a meeting held on the tenth hour of the tenth moon of AR 67.

At this meeting, a list of issues will be discussed. They will then immediately after be voted on. All council candidates running as part of the coalition will be bound to carry all votes decided as such to the council as decided in the meeting, upon their instatement to council duties.

Any who wish to participate in discussion on the point will gesture to me and they will be recorded. Participants will be given time to speak in order of first signal, first to speak. Speaking privilege will then handed off, one after another, for one minute or until the speaker is finished.

2 rounds of discussion will be allowed after which the point will be decided by an immediate vote. Majority will carry the issue to a conclusion and the point will be written into the pact between all attending and the prospective council members to carry that decision and vote to council.

Any who wish to add points of discussion on action the council should undertake or action it should NOT undertake, or to define the conduct and purpose of the council in any way, can post here to have their point added to discussion. A second person may post "seconded to (posting person's) point.". All seconded points will receive priority of discussion for the hour we will be allotting to the meeting.

ALL POINTS ADDED HERE WILL RECEIVE A ROUND OF DISCUSSION AND A VOTE BY ALL ATTENDING.
Locke Tannen

Re: Points of Discussion for Council Reform

Postby Arcturius » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:01 pm

I would like to have possible options to open trade with Barulis, I wish to clarify that those Barulans who stayed in the city proper are the ones we trade with.

A second point, a discussion on ways to resolve any issues with the Empress kyra with a focus on avoiding war.

And a third point, now that we have a stable living situation here in derrickham, or the closest it's been to one since the breaking, a discussion on how we might assist others who still need to climb back from the brink might be in order.
Arcturius

Postby Drimm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Greetings,

I believe you both have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the council is. It has always been a representation of Crossroads, not the entirety of the Kingdom. This is why we have a Queen, Her Highlord, and her Lords and Ladies. Any advice given is always welcome from the council. Their primary job is to work with the Minister of Finance on how Crossroads taxes should be allocated.

The Queen and I are more than willing to hear you out, but any decisions on reformation of the council’s responsibilities is the Queen’s, not yours.
Drimm

Postby Merry » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Lord Drimm

I do believe that what Mr. Tannen proposes is a discussion of, and prospective agreement on a unified stance under which candidates may choose to coalesce.
I see nothing in his proposed summit that deigns to undermine the authority of our Queen. Rather an attempt to attain likeness of mind on things such as tax allocation, or for wider reaching issues, a unified front with which to beseech the Queen regarding the State of, or change within Crossroads. Do correct me if ive misinterpreted friend Locke.

Can't wait to see you,
Merry
Merry

Postby Drimm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 am

Merry,

I merely wished to make matters clear. I look forward to hearing Locke’s proposals.

Drimm Dar’reth
Lord of Crossroads
Drimm

Postby Lance LeFleur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I think the two most pressing issues that effect the greatest percentage of the populace are standardization of currency and improving economic relations with neighboring nations. Both of this issues are causing derrickhams economy to become stagnant as very minimal trade is occurring. We need to reform taxation on guilds within derrickham , tariff reform on imports and exports , and increased trade with neighboring partners to kick start the economy .

Lance LeFleur
Lance LeFleur

Postby Locke Tannen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 pm

To Our Lord:

The function of the council is and has been as you say. I do not mean to overstep my bounds. The authority of the Queen in all matters is absolute, and I do not wish to challenge this. If I am projecting such as my intention I deeply apologize to you and to our Queen.

But as many have argued, the council as it has existed is largely useless. Determinations of taxes and judiciary appeals were never respected in the entire time I have been a citizen of Derrickham. All decision-making authority rightfully rests with the Queen, thus the council has existed in a strange between-place of power in which it has no agency over its own duties, and even the very limited authority it does have is subject to overruling.

in an attempt to reform the function of the council, I have tried to reimagine the entire role as one that realistically exists in the authority it actually has: none at all.

From this, I have determined the best possible incarnation of the council is one in which it can fully represent the interests of the people, to publicly hear and discuss their wants and needs and to reduce from those coherent, actionable requests that represent those needs that can be puzzled on, realistically worked out within the realm of viable possibility and proposed to the queen in a complete, pragmatic proposal for her to evaluate and consider.

I think this would allow us to have a public forum to convince the people of the necessity of dire measures in bad times, and discover the people's favor toward different priorities in good times. I can see nothing but improvement from engaging in honest and respectful dialogue as a community on what we are all going through and how we perceive these problems might be solved and the future better secured.

No one person is all-seeing and bereft of blind spots in perspective. When we are able to all share our unique realms of experience and perspective I have faith we will all see the sense in the best solutions and be able to provide those solutions to the queen for her evaluation.

to Lance and Arcturius:

I have tried to best represent any proposals that can be brought to a vote in the issues I have listed below. Any proposals I have not listed are largely because I do not know how to bring your discussion points to a vote: if you would like to add potential solutions to the problems you presented I have not listed please add potential solutions you propose to the problems not listed.

Perhaps we may add a tertiary issue priority that all issues not immediately actionable can be discussed if any time is left after proposals are voted on.

This is the agenda thus far. I have added my own suggestions and modified them as best I could to include as best I could from the points discussed actionable votes:

AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION AND VOTING ON POLICY OBJECTIVES AS PROPOSED HERE:

The Anti-Death Budget: Discussion and Vote:
Elimination of exemptions on new or “opting out” tenants.
Added tax exemption for healers guild members.
150dr per rise to be given to the healers guild. (20dr per healer per rise and 50dr for supplies.) 
Preventative health fund- 100dr to pay each of the town guard 20dr per rise.
2dr/rise tax increase (total 8dr), 30dr per rise guild tax increase(total 50dr). Will even out the budget with 18 dr/rise surplus.
Vote will be simple yes or no. modifications to the proposed budget will be accepted with a majority vote

Soft Term Limits for Council: Discussion and Vote
Council might be better served by consistently fresh perspectives on the issues being faced by those in town. This measure is designed to give those newer in town or otherwise intimidated the opportunity to govern. Would limit stagnation of perspective. Vote will be for 2 rises, one year, two years, no change or one year between terms.

Magisterial Appointment: Discussion and Vote
The current magistrate has been entirely missing for several rises. It seems wise to appoint someone who will have the enthusiasm and the time required to investigate, prosecute and carry out sentences against those who break any of the decrees laid out by the Queen. Vote will be for in favor or not in favor.

Standardization of Currency: Discussion and Vote
The difference in currency has opened the Kingdom of Derrickham up to a situation where our currency could exchange for 1/5th Derrickanian value outside of Derrickham in the near future (after similarly valued currency is depleted). Standardization of currency will increase the power of Derrickanian trade and ensure stability and confidence in the Derrikanian economy.Vote will be for in favor or not in favor.
Last edited by Locke Tannen on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Locke Tannen

Postby Erykahn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Locke,

I would like to throw this idea out, to you.
It is regarding council term limits.

If you have served on the council. You, must wait a year, to run again. So, you never have the same bad ideas, or the same good ideas. You have new ideas.

May you find, shade in the trees,
Erykahn
Knight of Derrickham
Erykahn

Postby Locke Tannen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you for your input! I will add your suggestion to the agenda as an option to vote on.
Locke Tannen

Return to In Game