Council Elections

This forum is for all "In Game" posts. You must either post as your character, or a "unseen narrator" describing some in-game event.

Council Elections

Postby Drimm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:37 am

Dear Citizens of Crossroads,

This coming rise we will be holding elections for the council of Crossroads. Any citizen who wishes to run, either for the first time or for reelection should announce so here. You have up until the night of elections to submit yourself as a candidate. Voting will take place in the tavern at dinner during the second night of the rise. Each citizen will be allowed to vote on their ballot. Candidates will be allowed time to speak to the people before votes are cast. Citizens may also vote to disband the council if they wish. If you have any questions, please send me a message directly, as this space is reserved for the candidates. Thank you.

Drimm Dar'reth
Lord of Crossroads
Drimm

Re: Council Elections

Postby Locke Tannen » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:31 am

I would like to put my hat in the ring for council, on one condition:

The people choose of their own volition and political agency to build a council that will be driven towards a desire to govern effectively towards the betterment of Derrickham's future.
Many have offered convincing argument that the council in its current state is entirely ineffective as a governing body.

I would say this has been true in the past. It does not have to be the truth of today and certainly not the truth of tomorrow. Those who do not believe in the potential of representative governship are of course free to use that same agency to advocate disbandment of the council, and if noone has any faith that a different future is possible, well, it isn't, and it cant ever be.

I offer an experimental alternative: we create a new council, with new ideas, new dreams, new goals and renewed vigor to cooperate towards building something more. Something that demonstrates everything Derrikanians are capable of when they work together. This will take considerable grueling and time consuming work on the part of this new council. As someone who spends weeks at a time lightheaded from deadly chemical fumes and sleepless from academic pursuit, this is work I would be overjoyed to have the privledge of organizing, planning and participating in. Plus, the chemical inhalation keeps me very productive at least 74.7% of the time!

Many offer the fact that any council would simply have no authority to make decisions that could not be overruled by the queen--

I do not think this especially relevant. A council's value is its collective commitment toward discovering the best ideas, imagining new tomorrows and making them possible. They can do this through their intervening divergent perspectives that give birth to new collective possibilites, and the trust to listen to eachother with an open mind. To grow stronger through our cooperative spirit and organization instead of our many personal ambitions.

If others feel the same, I encourage you to run for council and commit yourselves to a shared platform of reform. Any interested are invited to meet with me upon the first night of the rise to make suggestions from which we will draft a shared platform of concrete and realistic changes to the council toward directing its efforts in a more productive way to be proposed and voted on at the first council meeting and offered to the queen should we be delivered a majority through public commitment to our canidates.

If the people want that kind of council, I would be honored to serve them by representing them on it.
Locke Tannen

Postby Lance LeFleur » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:20 pm

I Lance LeLefleur , coat connoisseur here by announce my candidacy for town council.
Lance LeFleur

Postby Arcturius » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 pm

I, Arcturius Ladison, hereby declare my intent and desire to be a permanent member of the community in crossroads by running for a position in the council.
Arcturius

Postby Inumate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 am

I, Inumate, would like to throw in a hat for dissolving the council and putting all of its duties in the hands of the Lord of Crossroads. If voting is how we do things here, can we at least vote on something sensible?
Inumate

Return to In Game