Healer and Surgeons Guild

This forum is for all "In Game" posts. You must either post as your character, or a "unseen narrator" describing some in-game event.

Healer and Surgeons Guild

Postby Lyndi Thorn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

*a parchment is tacked to the wall of the tavern with the symbol of the Surgical Strike Team at the head*

Inhabitants of Crossroads!

Hello! This missive is to serve as both a reminder to townsfolk and citizens as well as an announcement.

First and foremost, Dr. Daxarien Thornhollow and myself, Lyndi Thorn, would like to formally introduce/reintroduce ourselves to you all. We are the master surgeons of Crossroads and we are here to aid in all medical needs. Dr. Dax is a master surgeon and a skilled alchemist . I myself am a master surgeon, capable of supervising others during surgery, as well as a skilled magical healer.

Secondly, we would also like to announce the formation of a Healers Guild of Crossroads. We are open to all who wish to join to pool our skills and knowledge to better the lives of all of Crossroads and Derrickham alike. Dr. Dax and I are offering medical and surgical training. I am also offering tutelage in the art of healing magic.

Finally, we also would like to remind that tips are not required but are greatly appreciated as we surgeons and healers put ourselves on the line for all. And it is hard to support these endeavors fully with scarce resources. Continuing on that the idea that we put ourselves on the line we would also like to give a gentle reminder that those of us performing surgery or first aid are defenseless at that time and the ongoing and continued efforts of everyone to keep watch over those in that position is greatly appreciated. Quite simply put, we cannot heal or save you when we ourselves are in need of surgery!

Lyndi Thorn
Master of the Healers Guild

Doctor Daxarien Thornhollow
Lyndi Thorn

Re: Healer and Surgeons Guild

Postby Tim-Director » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am

Dear Lyndi,
I commend you for your progress! But I find it disturbing that you do not charge your patients!

If you feel it's against your morals, then I call out the Lord of Crossroads and the Queen, to make a pledge to support the guild.

Danton Lispi, Jr.
Tim-Director

Postby Kierdyn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Danton,

In Crossroads, especially during the rise of Terres, we tend to find that we need healing more than most could afford to pay for. I personally find the idea of charging for healing, or armor repair, during these times deplorable.

We are all more likely to survive if we are all standing, not just if the rich remain. It is usually our custom to have 75% of our taxes allocated back into the town, usually into our guilds. I, for one, would support at least a fair share going towards this newly reinstated healing guild. Unfortunately for our guilds, but not for our people, our taxes have been allocated towards food and other necessities since the breaking. Hopefully we are in a place now where we can begin to return to the old ways.

In addition to tax money, I think it is a great idea to have a request for donations to the guilds, and I ask that all those who can afford it do pay it forward. These are the people saving your lives after all.

Kierdyn
Mage's Guildmaster
Member of Crossroads Council
Kierdyn

Postby Mordecai » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Danton,

Most people in town do not charge each other for healing, at least while Terres is in the sky (which, as anyone who has spent a Rise in Crossroads can tell you, is when we're most in danger). Some might say they deserve to be paid for their services. While I don't fully disagree, I feel I must point out, what about all of the people who are willing to draw their weapons and fight against those that mean to bring us harm? If the town was full of surgeons and healers and crafters, but no combatants, how long do you realistically think the town would last?

There is a give-and-take relationship in Crossroads. Most people quickly realize that, yes, they could charge for healing, but it's more important to keep your friends, family and allies alive, so that they might keep you alive. Requiring payment implies a possibility of refusal of service, and to anyone who would let somebody die at their feet because they couldn't pay for healing or armor repair, I will happily extend the same courtesy to you. To those in town who already freely offer their healing and crafting services to town during the Rising of Terres, I applaud your pragmatism.

Mordecai Jharrus
Priest of the Red Church
Mordecai

Postby Lyndi Thorn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Danton my dear friend,

Thank you for your support and praise! Charging for my services is in fact against my morals. I shall never turn away someone because they have no means of payment, I believe all individuals have the right to the services of a surgeon or healer. I will never charge for my service though donations or "tips" of any kind will not be refused. I do not condemn those who do charge because I understand why, but I hold strong to my personal belief.

I am pleased to say the Queen and the Lord have given us their full support and we are in the process of negotiations and the formation of a donation fund, which I know at least one individual has already donated to. I myself as well shall be donating at least half to all of the currency that I acquire to the guild and Dax is to serve as our financial official to allocate funds accordingly and properly.

Also my friend I of course extend and invitation to you, as well as to Harland to join and be a part of the guild. The expertise you both possess would be an invaluable addition to the guild!

Lyndi Thorn
Lyndi Thorn

Postby connick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Dear Citizens of Crossroads,

I had hoped to speak with the heads of the new guild privately about funding their efforts but the comments here demand a public response.

As Minister of Finance and as a conscientious private citizen I am duty-bound to assist such a noble and vital effort. Public funds, together with donations from generous benefactors have already been allocated to a fund for the Healer and Surgeon Guild.

While I do not publicly advertise all of our financial affairs, please rest assured that the organizations, projects and individuals in need of support will receive as much as the Kingdom can afford.

What I find truly disturbing is that anyone would question the altruism of Lyndi or Dax. As long as I remain Minister of Finance of the Kingdom, I pledge that those who give of themselves selflessly and without expectation of something in return will be the first to earn my respect and financial support should they choose to accept it.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about finances - even if it is to question or criticize how other people wish to conduct their business - I ask that you please address them to me.

Thank you,

Evreser Leets
Merchant Guildmaster of Crossroads
Minister of Finance of the Kingdom of Derrickham
connick

Postby Tim-Director » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

I simply have this to say... Do the alchemists give potions for free? Do the artisans make you finely crafted swords and armor for free? Does the mage guild provide rituals for free?

Mordecai points out those that fight and swing their swords. Is that not what the Town Guard is for? Isn't the Town Guard paid?

Danton Lispi, Jr.
Tim-Director

Postby Kierdyn » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 am

Danton,

There is a difference between necessity and excess. I would expect our alchemists to charge me for a potion that gives me special abilities, or refreshes energy, or some excess that I have the funds to pay for. I'd be appalled if they asked me to pay them for a minor healing potion after they picked me up in battle. I expect crafters to charge me to purchase armor that is extra effective, but not to repair my armor after we all share an experience of almost certain death. The Mage's Guild charges for rituals to create fancy items and such for those who can afford excess. We did not charge anyone for restoring the lake to a state where it is drinkable. I do not suggest that this works elsewhere, but in Crossroads at least it has been our way. If only the town guard lifted their swords when we were under attack we would all be dead. We must work together here. We must put greed aside for sense. There is a level of community built by those who remain in Crossroads during the rise of Terres, and during those times priorities are different.

-Kierdyn
Kierdyn

Postby connick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Dear citizens,

I must say that I echo the sentiments expressed by Kierdyn and Mordecai. Even though one of my primary goals is profitability, that goal is second to taking care of my fellow citizens; a responsibility for which no payment is necessary. While I can't speak for everyone, I know that the majority of the people of Crossroads feel the same way. Our willingness to care for one another is not for sale.

I simply have to say this... Why is Danton Jr. so interested in the financial affairs of others? If someone wishes to provide goods or services for the betterment of others at no cost, who is he to question their personal business? To me, such acts are laudable, not questionable...

Danton,

If you have a sincere interest in the subject of financial compensation for services and goods please come see me. I'm as adept at finding paying customers for people's work as I am at finding volunteers to aid the needy for free. Perhaps we may find a path toward mutual profit. Perhaps along that path you may find a greater appreciation of the value of altruism as well.

Evreser Leets
Merchant Guildmaster of Crossroads
connick

Postby Lyndi Thorn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:25 am

My friends,

I cannot speak for Danny truly, however please understand he has suffered hardships that are his own and has his own personal reasons for how he conducts his business. He does not condemn me for my unwillingness to charge for my services, so please afford him that same respect. Everyone has their own motives for doing what they do. Danton has always been kind to me, he has taught me everything I know, and he has never charged me. He is a man of modest means for he does not make a profit, he is not an opulent man. In this case he was trying in my eyes to give council and support to a friend and also encourage the crown to back the Guild without knowledge it had already been previously discussed. He is coming from a heartfelt good place trying to care for the interests of his friend.

I also solemnly pledge that while I live and breathe, in Crossroads there will always be a healer and surgeon who will never turn someone away, ever. Lessons I have learned from another dear friend Harland speak true here for me "Follow your heart and Good will follow you", "work with those around you to build a strong community." Not everyone's heart whispers the same ideations. As well not everyone is afforded the same opportunities as others to truly allow their heart to guide. In regards to working with those around you, the various avenues that people take to reach their goals and achieve their own personal success can inspire others in multiple ways. We all have valid ideas and feelings and we are all entitled to them. I for one am overjoyed at the number of citizens in Crossroads that hold the same values of helping each other at no cost, we are fortunate enough to have a community that grants us that ability and the freedom to chose to do so.

Lyndi Thorn
Lyndi Thorn

Postby Tim-Director » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 pm

A healer's skills are a healer's merchandise.

The subjective attitude of what is minor or inconsequential is preposterous.

Perhaps because unlike the rest of you, i don't choose to loot bodies and steal from dungeons to be able to put food on my table.

To Lyndi and Dax, good luck with this bunch of hypocrites.

No wonder my father told me to never go to Derrickham.

Danton Lispi, Jr.
Tim-Director

Postby Taiah Annor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Danton, I have found that a very appropriate business model for the Production Guild during the Rises is charging to repair armor when it is quiet, and doing it for free during the heat of battle; similarly for any life-saving potions I may have on me. The warriors of Crossroads put a lot on the line to protect our town, and at the least I can help protect them while they are doing so. I have found that there are ways of trading and bartering favors that benefit all which do not require monetary transactions to be significant - I believe this is especially prudent given the current uncertainty about gem values.
Taiah Annor

Postby Locke Tannen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello Everyone, sorry to interject, but I would like to share my own viewpoint on this matter. Perhaps you may disagree with it, but I feel the best way to solve an issue is for people of differing perspectives to come together.

As an Alchemist and a shareholder in the guild, I deal with exchanges of services regularly. but what seems to be overlooked in this discussion is the COSTS of those services. In trade, I take on the costs of business in order to sell those services in hopes of turning a profit.

I witness these costs being incurred by Dax specifically every day when we meet for guild business. At every instance he is either buried in anatomy books or weaving bandages by hand to protect the lives of the people he cares about. Every day Lyndi and Dax are working hard to help everyone they can. Not for profit, but for us all.

It seems strange that this immense undertaking of keeping all of us alive on a regular basis and the costs involved are borne by them. I understand that those without means to pay should not be turned away, but then why not have the bills for services rendered given to the Crown of Derrickham to be paid via taxes? At the very least through several mechanisms of diplomacy, war, town guard and criminal justice the government of crossroads is responsible for keeping violence to a minimum. Why should the costs of the violence that breaks out for one reason or another be borne by the people spending their own time and resources out of the goodness of their hearts?

The charitable nature of Dax and Throrn is beyond reproach. But violence... Violence has it's costs. It seems unjust to lay that burden on those with no power to mitigate it.
Locke Tannen

Postby connick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 am

Dear Locke,

Perhaps you did not see my previous remarks indicating that the Healer and Surgeons Guild has already been allocated substantial funds from the public treasury for their noble and vital services. Funding for such important functions are topmost among my priorities.

I look to thoughtful citizens such as yourself for input regarding fiscal necessities and pledge to always give thorough and thoughtful consideration to your suggestions. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there are any other areas that you think are being underserved.

In solidarity,

Evreser Leets
Guildmaster of the Merchant Guild of Crossroads
connick

Return to In Game